Each of these blood types is different from both parents. So if both parents are -, the kids are always -, … The actual blood type of a child is determined by the dominant type between the two parents. In addition to the A and B antigens, there is a protein called the Rh factor, which can be either present (+) or absent (–), creating the 8 most common blood types (A+, A-, B+, B-, O+, O-, AB+, AB-). If you know the mother and child’s type, then you can use the following chart to narrow the list of possible types for the father. How to Figure Out a Child’s Possible Blood Type. Q: If the parents' blood groups are O+ and B+, can one of their offspring be of any other blood group other than these two? There is a one in four chance of your child getting a different combination of genes from the genotypes of the biological parents. Find the child's value in yellow and the mother's value in blue. Since one of my siblings is A+ and there has been a doubt about her parentage and in her inheritance. The +/- is called the rhesus factor, with + being dominant, and - being recessive. Since AA, AO and OA are blood type A, and OO is blood type O, thus their child has 6.25% chance to be blood type O and 93.75% chance to be blood type A. There are four common values: A, B, AB, and O. Blood group - Blood group - Paternity testing: Although blood group studies cannot be used to prove paternity, they can provide unequivocal evidence that a male is not the father of a particular child. Using a Punnett square is a great way to figure out a child’s possible blood types based on the parents’ blood types. ABO Blood Groups. Ok so now we have everything we need to predict what blood type a child will likely have given two parents. A and B are both dominant over O, which means a child that receives an A from the father and an O from the mother will have a type A blood. For instance, if the biological parents’ blood types are O and AB, the baby may be born with either blood type A or B. Our interactive blood group calculator determines a baby's probable blood types for the ABO system based on the parents' blood type and vice versa. Determine Parents' Blood Type Child's Blood Type: A B AB O Depending on which combination each parent has determines the different combinations that the child can have. In the United States, O+ is the most common blood type, found in about 37% of the population, followed by A+ in around 36% of people, according to the Stanford School of Medicine Blood … The below charts show how contributions from each parent determine the blood type of the child. Please help. All we need to know are the parents’ blood genotypes. Briefly, here’s how blood typing works. There are four major blood groups determined by the presence or absence of two antigens – A and B – on the surface of red blood cells. For example, if the mother is AO (received A from one parent and O from the other) and the father is BO there is a possibility that their child will have one of the following blood types: A (25%), B (25%), O (50%), or AB (25%). You get it based on equal genetic contributions from both parents. Since the red cell antigens are inherited as dominant traits, a child cannot have a blood group antigen that is not present in one or both parents.